Shrikhand makes me feel so nostalgic and takes me down the memory lane to my childhood. Back home in Mumbai our neighbours used to often make shrikhand and without fail keep some for me. It was a very easy access back home, our cooks or friends used to regularly make it.
After moving to Melbourne I did try the Store brought shrikhand but never found them even close to what I ate at home. So decided to make it at home, the pistachio flavoured and to my surprise it turned out awesome and made me feel so proud. My neighbour had shared the recipe with me and lucky I had it in my recipe book (My Bible).
Recently I saw a post of my fellow blogger / friend Priti from mypinchofyum posting Shrikhand recipe and that made me crave for some.. So start hunting down my recipe book for the Shrikhand recipe shared by my neighbour.. BINGO got it .. Next step screening my pantry for ingredients, where I came across a tin of Mango pulp and ChaChing.. Let’s make the Mango flavour.. Thanks Priti for the inspiration 🙂
My second attempt to make Shrikhand, it took around 5 to 6 hours to make including process to hang the yogurt and was over in less than 10 minutes, kids just loved it and my little one called it Mango IceCream..
Very Simple & Easy yet Utterly delicious Mango Shrikhand…
Check the photos of step by step procedure..
Hope you enjoy it 🙂
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 cup Mango pulp (I used tin)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 Cardamom (seeds only)
- Nuts for garnish (Almond and Pistachio)
- Put the yogurt in a muslin cloth and hang it for around 4 to 5 hours. You can collect the water and use it to knead the dough, like I did.
- Once most of the water is drained out transfer the yogurt in a bowl.
- Add the mango pulp, sugar, cardamom powder and seeds using a whisker whisk it properly. Make sure to get rid of lumps of the yogurt and mixing all ingredients together.
- This step takes around 8 to 10 minutes, more you beat it together more thick and good it turns out.
- Taste check, sometimes you might need more sugar depending on sourness of the mango pulp and then put it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Can be served on it’s on or with puri..