Stuffed Capsicum is a very commonly eaten dish. Mostly everyone loves it and the traditional way to make them is to cut off the head of the capsicum, remove the seeds and fill in the potatoes mixture.
I have tried a little different approach to it for 2 simple reasons, firstly here in Melbourne sometimes it gets difficult to find small capsicum. And secondly, in the traditional method there are too much of capsicum and potatoes for one serve, so this way of cooking makes it easy as little capsicum and less filling.
Other than the method to cut and cook capsicum rest is the same old simple method
where we boil, peel and mash the potatoes and cook them in onions and spices.
Stuff the capsicum and cook them in a wide mouth pan with some oil. Cover the pan to get best results.
Hope you enjoy this Everyday Meal Idea – Simple & Easy…
- 4 Capsicum red/green, sliced
- 8 -10 Potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 clove Garlic, chopped
- Pinch Asafoetida(Hing)
- 1 tsp Mustard seed
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 4 tbsp oil
- Add little oil in a pan on medium flame, once the oil is hot add hing and mustard seeds and let them crackle. Then add the garlic and sauté till light brown.
- Then put the onions and salt and sauté till onions are translucent, mash the boiled potatoes and add them to the onions and add all the other ingredients to it and mix well.
- Cook further for 5 to 7 minutes till everything is mixed well together and potatoes have no big lumps.
- Once done remove the pan from the flames and place an open / wide mouth pan or flat top.
- Cut the capsicum in thick slices and keeping them on your palm fill the potato mixture in them, remember the potatoes are hot, so you can either wait for them to get till cool or use a baking sheet on your hand.
- Meanwhile in the pan add some oil
- Pat the potatoes down to stuff well and flip the capsicum in the pan, repeat the process with all the slices and you can cook in batches depending on the size of the pan.
- Cover and let it cook, keep checking, the capsicum should start turning soft, shinny and should get brown marks. After around 5 minutes flip the capsicum to the other side. The side now on the top should have the potatoes brown and stuck to the capsicum.
- Repeat the process for all and serve it hot with roti..