This stew is very healthy and filling. Good change from routine spinach and chickpeas combination.
Kale is very healthy and so is chickpeas and the combination of both is full of proteins and energy. The taste is very satisfying and keeps you full for very long time.
Make sure you wash and clean the kale very properly, these days it’s hard to trust any vegetable or fruits they might have artificial colours or could be sprayed with insecticides. So always make sure to thoroughly wash them and if possible soak them in water.
Boil the kale and once they are tender, drain the water out and keep it for few minutes. Squeeze any excess water with hands and roughly chop them and keep aside.
You can cook chickpeas in a cooker or boil them till they are cooked properly. Or even use from tin, but if using tin chickpeas make use to drain the water and wash them.
You can even add bay leaf in addition to cinnamon stick if you like, but I just did not feel the need for it. Saute onions till tender and translucent and the aroma of ginger and garlic goes. Adding salt to onions helps onions cook faster (just something I have seen since childhood in my family).
Adding a little more water than desired and letting the stew simmering and reducing is always a good way to cook. It makes them a little mushy and mixes well, again just a personal opinion.
Hope you like this Everyday Meal Idea – Simple & Easy..
Feel free to leave a comment.. Happy Blogging and Enjoy Cooking 🙂
Kale & Chickpea Stew
- 1 bunch Kale
- 2 cups Chickpeas
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 medium size Tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Amchur (dried mango powder)
- ½ tin Champignons mushroom cut in half
- 5 – 6 spears Corn cut in small
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Boil kale in a pan, then drain and squeeze out as much water you can then chop them and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker add chickpeas with water and give whistles till it’s cooked around 8 whistles. But make sure it’s not mushy.
- In a heavy bottom pan on medium flame add oil once oil is hot add the cumin seeds and cinnamon stick.
- As soon the cumin seeds start cracking add ginger, garlic, salt and onions. Saute till onions are translucent then add in the tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes get a little tender add the tomato paste, kale, coriander powder, red chilli powder, green chillies, garam masala, amchur, mushrooms, corn and chickpeas and mix well.
- Cover and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, keep checking in between. Then add water to the consistency you want. And let it simmer further till everything is tender and cooked.
- Add lemon juice and check for salt.
- Served with steamed rice or toasted bread!!