What joy can you get when you find a way to make one of your favourite snack in a quick and easy way.. Result -making it more often and enjoying it; that’s what I discovered. Making khandvi on stove is a tedious process where you need to continuously stir it and with toddlers around it’s hard to do that.
But this process of making it in microwave is much easier and simple. It’s not my invention; I have also discovered this method over internet. I though this simple, easy and quick method would be suitable for my blog as my blog is for Everyday Meal Ideas – Simple & Easy so had to try it..
Hope you all enjoy this recipe. Thanks for stopping by and reading.. Happy Cooking 🙂
Blend the mixture well.
Make sure no lumps are formed.
Microwave for 2 minutes, then remove the batter and mix it well again making sure no lumps.
Keep repeating the procedure till the mixture is cooked well. It would take around 12 minutes in microwave.
Spread the batter on the benchtop.
Try to spread as thin as possible and evenly.
Let the batter cool and set for around 15-20 minutes.
Cut them in strips, making sure they not too wide or too long.
Start rolling the khandvi very gently and place them on the serving plates.
Take oil in pan for tempering.
Once oil is hot add mustard seeds to it.
Let the seeds crackle then add chopped curry leaves and coriander to the oil.
Put the tempering over the khandvi spreading it evenly
Sprinkle some desiccated coconut on the khandvi
Serve it with chutney!
- 1 cup Besan (Gramflour)
- 1 cup Yoghurt
- 2 cup Water
- ¼ tsp Haldi (Turmeric)
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
- Rai (Mustard seed)
- Desiccated coconut
- Kadi patta, chopped (curry leaves)
- Fresh Coriander
- In a blender jar put besan, yoghurt, water and turmeric. Blend it well till no lumps are left.
- Once the mixture is blended properly pour it in a micro safe bowl and then add salt and oil in it and mix gain.
- Then on high speed microwave the mixture for 2 minutes then remove and mix the mixture well. Mix it by trying to move your spatula in one direction to remove any lumps that form during microwaving the mixture.
- Again microwave the mixture for 2 minutes and then mix the mixture again.
- You need to repeat this process 4 more times so in total you microwave the mixture for 12 minutes. Please note sometimes the time even depends on your microwave setting. Keep checking and if you feel your mixture is cooked stop the process there it self.
- On a back of a tray or your kitchen platform spread the mixture.
- Please note if you are using back of the tray or plate then grease it with oil and then spread the mixture. But if using the bench top just a good cleaning would do, no need for oil.
- Spread the mixture as thin as possible and as even as possible. You can refer to the pictorial for help and idea.
- Let the mixture cool and set for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Then using knife cut the mixture in strips (refer the pictures above).
- Start rolling up the strips. Just in case the strips are too long cut them short and then roll. Please make sure not to roll too long strips it would not taste good as too much batter would be in one roll.
- Once you finish rolling up all khandvi, place them on the serving plate.
- For tempering, heat oil and once it’s hot add mustard seeds to it. Once the seeds start to crackle then add the chopped curry leaves and coriander to it. Heat the oil further for 30 seconds.
- Then sprinkle the oil and mustard over the khandvi’s evenly and then sprinkle desiccated coconut on them.
- Serve with green or tamarind chutney.