My 100th Post..
I am actually blogging after four months, It’s been a crazy busy year for me..
And in this hectic schedule some night’s need a quick fix meal. But quick meal doesn’t need to be unhealthy, fried or tasteless and not even same.. So this night I wanted to make something quick yet tasty and healthy. When I say quick burrito’s I am using the store bought Burrito’s Spice Mix. And my approach is not the traditional style, remember I said quick fix .. So here a quick fix meal needs a quick recipe..
When I say non traditional approach, instead of using the traditional tortilla’s I have used wraps which were available at home. And I have even used store bought spice mix..
There are few steps involved in this which are not at all time consuming or hard:
Firstly, we make the rice and beans mix
Cooking and shredding the chicken
Then, the tangy salsa
Lastly, need to assemble everything
Hope you enjoy the Burrito’s as much as we did.. Please feel free to leave your feedback.. Happy Cooking 🙂
Ingredients for Burrito’s:
- 1 large Chicken breast, skinless
- 1 packet Burrito Spice Mix (I used the Old El Paso)
- 6 Wraps, Any kind
- 1 cup cooked Brown rice (I used Basmati rice)
- 1 can Black beans
- 2 glove Garlic, minced
- Lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Coriander
- Cheese, shredded (I used tasty)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Ingredients for Salsa:
- 1 large fresh Tomato, chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- fresh Coriander, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red Chilli powder or paprika
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Red Thai Chillies, chopped (Optional)
Ingredients for Dip:
- 1/4 cup Yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp black Pepper
- Fresh Coriander, chopped
- Marinate the chicken breast with 1/2 packet of burrito spice mix, Make slits in the breast and rub in the spice mix properly.
- In a griddle add 1 tbsp oil, when the oil is hot cook the breast turning both sides, Make sure the breast is cooked properly, you can prick the breast to check.
- Once the chicken is cooked leave it aside to cool a bit. When the chicken is little bit cooled and you can hold it in your hands shred it and keep for later use.
- Meanwhile in a pan add the remaining oil and once it’s hot add in the garlic. When the raw smell is gone add the black beans to it, make sure you drain the beans before adding them.
- Mix well and add the cooked rice along with the remaining spice mix, lemon juice, coriander and salt.
- Taste check then remove from flame and keep aside.
- For making the salsa, in a small mixing bowl combine tomatoes, onions, coriander, lemon juice, salt, chilli/paprika powder and Thai chilli (optional if you want an extra kick) and keep aside.
- For the dip, in another small mixing bowl combine yogurt, salt, cumin powder and black pepper and keep aside.
- To assemble, lay flat the wrap and spoon some rice mix on it, topped with lettuce, salsa, dip and cheese.
- Wrap it by closing both ends. You can eat it fresh or like me pop it in the sandwich press and cook for 2 -4 minutes. Sandwich press would help the wrap to close firmly and cheese to melt.
- You can use uncooked black beans, make sure to cook them by boiling or in pressure cooker till they are easily smashed between your fingers.
- If you are not using the sandwich press then heat the wrap on the griddle for a minute on each side or pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds.